How You Can Help
Things To Do
• Believe the person, abuse can happen to anyone and abusers often appear to be very nice people.
• Remember that you cannot ‘rescue’ them.
• Educate yourself, leaving can be hard for many reasons and it does not ensure the abuse will stop and can increase lethality for some victims.
• Encourage the person to call the Fearless! hotline for confidential help.
• Support the person and do not abandon them.
Words To Say
• This is not your fault.
• I am sorry this is happening to you.
• You have the right to be safe.
• You don’t deserve to be treated this way.
• I care about you and I know talking about it can be hard.
Questions To Ask
• Is someone hurting you?
• Did someone hurt you?
• Do you dread being alone with your partner?
• What do you need to be safe right now?
• How can I support you?
If you or someone you know has been raped and/or sexually assaulted:
• Call the hotline at (845) 562-5340 or
• Go to the Emergency Room of your local hospital or
• Call the Police
• You are not alone
• You should be examined and receive medical treatment as soon as possible.
• DO NOT eat, drink, shower, brush your teeth, or change your clothes until you have been examined
• GET HELP quickly